Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Heart Songs

Summertime calls for a summer mix tape. If, like me, you bought a frappuccino from Starbucks for
the promised free summer tunes only to find out it was an iTunes card you don't know how to use
(there is seriously no slot on my laptop it fits into) then I have the solution. Below are my warm
weather recommendations, perfect for beach sprawling or barbecue bopping or crying alone in your air
conditioned room. Suitable for the single, the dating, and the hopeless. Enjoy.

“Torn” by Natalie Imbruglia. The great thing about this is Natalie is lying naked on the floor because
she's heartbroken but this actually doubles as advice if you don't have an air conditioner. You might be
all out of faith, but you're never out of ways to beat the heat!

“As Is” by Ani DiFranco. This song is about accepting someone for who they are even if they are a
liar. There are worse things when it comes to qualities in a loved one. And it didn't seem to bother the
jury on the Casey Anthony trial.

“Late at Night” by Buffalo Tom. This is from the My So-Called Life soundtrack starring Claire Danes.
It plays during the episode where Jordan Catalano finally holds Angela's hand. Sadly, the significance
of this gesture has not diminished in adulthood.

“Silence” by Delerium. Another Claire Danes soundtrack except now instead of high school, she's in a
Thai prison. If you listen to it over and over you really start to feel like you are locked inside your head
with no chance of ever escaping. Then you can pause it and be like, “I'm free!” and feel better. If you
play it while you're making out with someone and cry at the same time it is super romantic.

The instrumental love theme from Romeo and Juliet starring Claire Danes. I forget what it's really
called because I saved it in my iTunes as, “For sad times.” I like to play it while I'm looking in the
mirror and pretend I am both Leo and Claire so that I can imagine what it would be like to be loved and
what it would be like to love me. In case you were wondering, guys, it's pretty great.

I guess really any Claire Danes soundtrack is a good summer pick unless it's from the remake of Le
Miserables because it makes more sense to buy the original which was in fact a musical.

“Save Me” by Aimee Mann. This one is actually a cry for help. Really. Please come over now. I'm
very sad.

The instrumental theme from “Buffy the Vampire Slayer.” Again, you'll want a mirror so you can
understand both what it is to have to stab your vampire lover and send him into an unknown hell vortex
and what it's like to awake from a state of evil and realize you've been killing your girlfriend's friends.
In case you were wondering, it's pretty great.

“My Heart Will Go On” by Celine Dion (also the love them from Titanic). Obviously because of the
love and water themes, this song lends itself perfectly to summer romance. Until you hit the iceberg of
Autumn and realize it was just a meaningless fling and that when he said, “I'll never let go,” he really
was talking about the burger you wanted a bite of. Then he'll tear your heart out like the old lady tore
the blue heart of the ocean from around her neck and he'll throw it into the sea where it will remain
cold and alone forever.

Erin Whitehead is a writer, comedian, and actress in Los Angeles. She enjoys writing about love and relationships for onlinedatingsites.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment